Saturday, March 25, 2017

March Madness and Technology

There are times where technology helps -- think Google, Pinterest and maps. Just yesterday, I looked up directions to a pop-up vintage shop event, Yelped a restaurant and researched Bottle People on Google and Pinterest. Then, there are times when technology hurts. Those times when you discover there are Bottle People examples on Pinterest. Yeah, these are a thing. And, let me tell you, they are unbelievably magnificent if they are truly done by a second grader and not a professional artist.

This week's school project for the twins is Bottle People. Last week, salt dough. We have a handful of days to turn two-liter bottles into Michelle Obama. Both girls picked her. Camille is making the Michelle Obama that gardens on the White House grounds. Caroline is going with a more official Mrs. Obama -- giving a speech. I spent $53 at the craft store today. The items:
Two styrofoam balls
One package of dowels
One can of light brown spray paint (her skin)
One can of black spray paint (the podium)
One bag of green Easter grass
One package with two strands of beads (a pearl necklace and a silver bead necklace)
One package of carrot stickers
Two styrofoam blocks (the podium)
Half a yard of blue fabric (the speech dress)
One skein of dark brown yarn (her hair)
One little pink watering can

At home, we had an outfit from an American Girl doll that could be used for the gardening Mrs. Obama -- jeans and a white short-sleeved shirt. And, we had cardboard on which to adhere the podium and the garden. We also found two felt tomatoes for the garden.

Newsflash: We aren't crafty so we don't have supplies. We have to spend money on supplies for a project that will receive a check plus and be returned in a day or two. We are not able to rummage around in our studio for any items you can use for a homework assignment. Now, we did have quite a few juice and soda bottles. I finished some Cranberry Mist with some vodka. Sacrifice.

It's all for a project. It's all for a project. It's all for a project.

So, part of our Saturday was spent shopping at a craft store and then beginning the creation process of Bottle People. Yippee for us, we get to spend part of our day tomorrow finishing up these ladies.

I tweeted and posted pictures to Instagram and @ mentioned Michelle Obama. I need a retweet and a like. And, a comment. 

Technology also provides a benefit when you are going to an event that runs during your Baylor men's basketball Sweet 16 game. It's amazing to have an app that shows the game live and Twitter that provides commentary of the game. Then, when your team begins to lose -- about a minute into the game -- you begin to despise technology and it's delivery of game information. You begin to be grateful that you aren't at home watching the game because you would throw your little piece of technology at the television.

It's only a game. It's only a game. It's only a game.

We lost. Twitter told me. The ESPN app told me. Ugh. 

It's only a game. It's only a game. It's only a game.

We weren't even seeded in the top 25 at the beginning of the season. No one expected us to get this far in the tournament. We were only number 1 in the country for one day. (That was sweet. That was our Shining Moment. Maybe we'll make the montage?)

It's only a game. It's only a game. It's only a game.

I wore a Baylor t-shirt last night as we visited the cute vintage shop and when we wandered into the restaurant I found on Yelp. It was a sushi spot that specializes in pairing champagne with the meal. Sounds so delicious, right? Well, I just really needed some champagne cocktails because of the aforementioned loss  defeat  spanking. Yes, I was in a kind of nice place in a Baylor t-shirt. Not a good look on a Friday night in a cool area of town. Other people in the restaurant were in hip jackets and nifty dresses. Not me. I was in a worn-down mood in a t-shirt. Yelp didn't mention a dress code for this spot so it was OK, but I just didn't feel OK. Nothing champagne can't help, right?

But even while I downed my drinks, I noticed Twitter flicker again because oh, yes, my Lady Bears were playing in their Sweet 16 game. Redemption. I sat up a bit straighter and dusted off my mood. The t-shirt was back on point. 

The ride home was app watching and Twitter tweeting with a joyous buoyancy (maybe the bubbly helped). I love technology.

Home again and I saw my women win. They knocked Louisville right out of the arena and had a big win. Thank goodness for technology. Loads of comments, tweets and filtered Instagram pictures carried me through the late evening. That's a winning fourth part. Well, except for my men. That wasn't so winning.

It's only a game. It's only a game. It's only a game.

Along with finishing up the pair of Michelle Obamas, I get to watch my Lady Bears play in the Elite 8. Yes, I changed my profile picture on Facebook and Twitter to an Elite banner. It's so fun. 

Maybe tomorrow, I'll post the finished Bottle People. Another chance at a retweet. Another chance at over-sharing. Another chance to use technology to my favor.

College basketball and elementary school projects.

Yeah, it's March Madness. It's One Shining Moment.

I love this time of year. I love this time of year. I love this time of year.









No comments:

Post a Comment