Saturday, February 10, 2018

Fancy Milkshakes and Alterations

Last year, our family word and resolution was Fix.

After 365 days, we fixed a few things. Guess what, things continue to need fixing.

I have a blouse with a button missing and the thread hook which closes the back of my blouse is very loose. I have a black work skirt that needs the serged hem repaired. I have a pair of beloved jeans that need a patch.

I've tried to fix all three with my sewing skills. Don't have a matching button. Don't really like doing those thread loops. I don't have a serger and the iron-on patches just don't stay ironed on.

I need help. Where do you find someone who can just do simple repairs? Not alterations. Not tailoring. Just a few fixes.

Those spots are typically only open during the day. The ones I've found that are either close to my home, work or somewhere in between require cash. You know who doesn't have cash? Me, the person who works at a bank.

I want to wear that blouse, that skirt, those jeans. I like those three clothing items. Yet, I can't find the time in any of my four parts on any given day to get them repaired.

I've been wearing jeans quite a bit to work because I've been at our campus where jeans are allowed. I love wearing jeans in the fall and winter. I get to wear my boots. I get to wear my blankets (scarves and wraps) and I get to wear jackets. It's so easy getting dressed in the morning when I get to put on jeans.

Except when you keep trying to put on the pair that needs patching.

Today, while Camille had a birthday party to go to for a gymnastics teammate, Caroline and I went to the farmer's market. My friend Sue joined us in the adventure. Yes, we wanted to get carrots and other in-season vegetables, but we also had a mission.

Fancy milkshakes.

Honeysuckle Tea Time had a pop-up at a floral shop and accepted pre-orders for lavender shortbread milkshakes. I ordered my $10 milkshake -- yes, $10 -- during a fourth part from the week.

After dropping off Camille, picking up Sue and finding a parking place, we walked over to the farmer's market and checked in for our milkshake.

With a Girl Scout trefoil cookie, mini cupcake, teeny tiny meringue, piece of pink chocolate and a candy bracelet on top, we had a shake. It had fresh whipped cream, edible glitter and a lavender flavor and it was delicious. Lactose intolerance aside, I enjoyed the shake.

So did Caroline.

So did Sue.

The woman making and selling the shakes also makes the most beautiful cakes. A basic base with toppings ranging from edible confetti to succulents (not edible). Her work is art. I follow her on Instagram and oh and ah when I see the creations.

What talent.

What a gift.

Sometimes I wonder what my talent is, what is my creative gift. I do know how to sew, but rarely do. I put together photo books quite well, but always seem to be a few books behind (still have not finished Chris' senior year of high school -- he's a junior in college now). I love to cook and bake, but rarely carve out the time to really cook and bake. I mean, I get dinner knocked out and throw together appetizers for parties, but I would love to spend the time making a showstopper dessert a la The Great British Baking Show.

I write on this blog, but wish I wrote more. (Oh, there's a book in me, I know it.)

Pinterest can be a motivation killer as much as it can be a motivator. Who can reach those standards? Who has the time? Who has the supplies?

I rarely compare myself to others, but after watching that woman design those cakes and make the shakes I wonder why I can't just do that.

Stop talking, start doing was a family resolution a few years ago. I did start working out more that year, changed my eating habits and started writing again. But, I still have things that I talk about and don't do.

With all the planning I do to achieve fourth parts, I wonder why I don't plan for these big things I want to achieve. I know I'm in a stage of life that requires attention to learning multiplication and making extreme weather shoeboxes --- as well as making sure tuition and apartment rent are paid on time -- but sometimes I want to write and write and write. Or, thrift shop to find goods for our house. Or, paint rooms in our house. Or, re-do the bathrooms and kitchen.

Instead, I keep it real for now. I write when I can. I thrift when I can.

I have other things to do -- like get these clothes to a fixer, spend time with a dear friend and drink a fancy milkshake.

No comments:

Post a Comment