Friday, November 10, 2017

Chargers and Locks

My countdown app reads 1 day, 21 hours, 21 minutes and 51 seconds. OK, now 44 seconds.

I'm going to Paris for my birthday.

The trip is almost here.

While I've started to overthink things (Qtips? Umbrellas? Scarves for the plane? Luggage tags for carry-ons?), I'm trying to take deep breaths, pause and sit in this moment.

I'm going to Paris for my birthday.

The preparation for this trip began in February when I purchased the airline tickets. A tremendous amount of fourth parts has been dedicated to organizing and figuring out this trip. Even while watching Housewives (Dallas has been so so good), I've been looking through Pinterest for Paris spots, reading travel blogs for great restaurants and figuring out the budget for the trip.

The preparation picked up around the summer when I started thinking about the itinerary. It came into full-blown, 'why do I have to go to work because I need to buy Eiffel Tower tickets and figure out the train schedule to Epernay and do I buy a Paris Visite pass for the Metro now or wait and when will weather.com provide a 10-day outlook?' planning about a month ago.

I made dinner reservations for some of our meals through La Fourchette within the last month. I bought the girls boots a couple of weeks ago. I have travel-size versions of shampoo, conditioner, lotion and plenty of little Wisp toothbrushes for the airplane. I bought Euros this week. I ordered WineSkins and a lock from Amazon in plenty of time to not have to rely on Prime.

The lock bridge doesn't exist anymore in Paris because over the years, the locks became too heavy for the railing. Instead, there are places around the Seine where you can place a lock and toss the key into the river. The girls and I bought a heart lock. We wrote our names and the date of my birthday on it and will lock it into place somewhere in Paris.

I'm going to Paris for my birthday.

Today, I was able to work from home. I had several calls and some reading to catch up on, plus I was able to get my hair colored, cut and styled. Caroline and I did our nails this evening (Camille is up tomorrow). I also got to wear my new sneakers one more day before the trip so I can really break them in for all the walking we will do.

I also did the dry run of packing. We are checking two suitcases -- one with our clothes, the other with coats, scarves, shoes and toiletries. The girls are taking three pairs of shoes each and I'm bringing four pair. Yeah, that's it. We have one carry-on that is loaded with snacks, chargers and probably some American Girls and Barbies. The girls will each carry on a backpack and I'll be toting my new Longchamp expanding bag (so, so happy with it!).

I'm going to Paris for my birthday.

Packing cubes are a God send. I purchased a set and borrowed a set (thanks, Allison . . . I'm going to miss one of my original travel partners . . .) and all of the girls clothes and mine, rolled right up into those cubes. Amazing. Invest in these. I'm a fan. Some of you may get these as gifts. Without these cubes, we could not have fit all our clothes. Eight days of cold-weather clothing for three people takes up some room.

We have a washer and dryer at our apartment so we can do laundry if needed. I'm bringing a foldable, collapsible duffel bag which will hold either souvenirs or dirty clothes on the trip back. So, I may not do laundry. I might have to shop for clothes. Or socks. (Do I have the right socks? Stop overthinking!)

This past week, I looked back into one of my pocket-sized journals. I write Christmas gift lists, vacation days and websites I want to visit in it. I also list out things to accomplish during the year. There are Bible verses and quotes from books. I think these journals are telling of my life. I have more journals than I can count. I have varying sizes, some hardback, some paper bound. Over the years, I can see my journey from child to teen to college student to reporter to married to mother. It's a interesting story.

I'll be sad that G and Chris won't be with me on my birthday. I know I will miss them so much on this trip. We will be Facetiming and texting and I'll be sending photos. (Make sure to set up the international data roaming. And, call the credit card companies. Overthinking.)

We are bringing four portable chargers for our three phones and the single iPad. I've started the charging journey tonight. I have no idea the lifespan of these chargers nor do I really know when they are charged -- green light means charged? What about the blinking white light? Thinking red light or no light means zero charge. One of the reasons I began the charging was to figure out what cords went where and how they fit in the charger and then the device.

Figuring out chargers and carrying luggage are the things G usually takes care of when we go on a family trip. I make the restaurant reservations, create the itinerary and check in for flights. I know the details, but G takes care of the big picture items. Luggage, chargers, how to work the television and getting us all seated together on trains, subways, buses and at restaurants where we don't have a reservation.

I'm going to Paris for my birthday.

My husband and son won't be with me. My girls will be. And, my sisters and two dear lifelong friends. I imagine we will figure out the chargers. I can handle the luggage. We probably won't have time to watch much television. . . evenings at the apartment will be for recapping the day and drinking wine.

I'm going to miss G and Chris. I'll miss my travel buddies and other friends who just couldn't make it.

Maybe that lock will be for more than just the girls and I. I think putting that lock on a bridge in Paris and throwing the key in the river indicating lasting, forever love represents G and Chris, too. It stands for all my family and my friends. That heart lock is a tangible reflection of who I am today and will be on November 15, 2017.

I'm who I am because of my family, my friends, G, Chris, Camille and Caroline. I've lived an incredible 49 and 360-something days.

I didn't accomplish all the items on my Before 50 bucket list I found in one of my journals. I didn't go to Africa or Russia and Lithuania. I didn't run for political office. I haven't published a book.

I have been blessed with a husband who loves me and likes me, a son who is growing up to be a solid man, two daughters who completed my family and who are so precious to us. I have parents and sisters who are rock solid in their love for me and have stood by me through some shaky times. I have dear, dear friends, who I've known most of my life and some who have just come into the picture within the last few years, that make me laugh, cry, share my story, help me navigate life.

My phone will be fully charged, along with my heart. The lock will be placed on a bridge somewhere on the Seine in the heart of Paris -- a lasting, forever love for all of you.

I'm going to Paris for my birthday with all of you.




No comments:

Post a Comment