Monday, October 9, 2017

Re-Fi and Flu Shots

In about 33 days, 20 hours and 40-something minutes, I'll be on a 'happy birthday to me' vacation with my girls, my sisters and some life-long friends.

I've a long list of to-dos and am pretty proud of myself for divvying out the items over evenings, lunch breaks and weekend errand runs. Most of the time I would not consider errands and online shopping fourth part of the day activities -- it's the new fall season of television and NJ Housewives are back -- but because I'm planning my tres bien trip, I'm loving my after third part goings ons.

I recently ordered packing cubes and found that Allison will loan me her adapter (we need electronics up and running at all times). The girls have their airplane wraps and we have identified what dolls and stuffed animals are making the trip. I have ordered a few things for me and put them aside -- can't wait to use my Longchamp le pliage bag. I found four charger cord leather fold-over organizers.

I continue to wonder if I should order a pair of black short booties, return the overpriced Superga sneakers I bought at a local shoe boutique (I mean, Nordstrom and Poshmark have them for much cheaper but I don't know if this spot takes returns -- I don't want a store credit so I might send G. He's good at the return) and hunt for the perfect white t-shirt. (See earlier post on that search.)

I've planned three days of the trip and have outlined some other things to do when everyone arrives the day of my birthday. I found an app that takes Paris restaurant reservations -- La Fourchette. And, I've mapped out visits to the museums the girls and I will visit.

This week, I need to call to make a reservation at the restaurant that will be the site of the big birthday dinner -- brush up on my French. OK, I'll write what I want to say and, then, translate in an app. I want to finalize our airplane seats this week. And, I'm wanting to purchase some clear, zippered envelope-sized bags for the girls for their electronics, cords and other need to have items to put in their carry-on backpacks. I think I also need to find make-off remover and face cleanser wipes -- much easier than face wash.

I will schedule my next few nail and wax appointments in preparation for take off. I've already set the hair cut and color schedule. (Oh, that reminds me, I'll need to schedule hair cuts and braids for the girls!)

Eventually, I will get a few Euros to take and make my official packing lists. (Do I bring my tall boots? They are super comfortable but they are so heavy and I really don't want to wear them on the plane.)

Wait. I've other things to do. Life does not stop when you are planning a trip.

I've got Baylor football -- Homecoming hotel reservations, yes. Finding a friend to have lunch with before tailgating, still searching.

I've got Lee football -- red shirts, a few. Snacks to pack, weekly decision. Cash for the concession stand, on-the-way-to-the-game stop.

We've got school and homework and gymnastics. One meet to go this fall in Houston, which requires planning but we don't know the time of the meet, yet.

I've got the laundry, work outs, grocery shopping and basic housekeeping (Clorox wipes every few days counts, right?).

Then, we've the other fall things to do. Pumpkin patch visit, Halloween costume decisions and shopping and Gervais' birthday (he turns the big number, too and wants absolutely nothing for his birthday. Really, I'm going to Paris and he wants nothing. Ugh. Someone, help!)

A couple of other items on the get down in the fall checklist -- flu shots, FAFSA and re-financing. All include the letter f. Hmmm.

Flu shots, done. Got those scheduled on our October holiday. The girls did not cry so G is giving them $5 each. Let's see if they save that for a few Euros.

FAFSA, finished today. Remember when that thing was done in January or February? Now, it opens up in October. And, boy, you better rush to that site and get your numbers submitted so you can find out you get little money. Thankfully, I found the file with the passwords, user IDs and even the file with the Turbo Tax log-in info. It only took a few minutes to see that I can contribute massive amounts of money to Chris' education. Nah, I prefer spending that money on a birthday trip to a foreign country.

Re-financing our mortgage because interest rates are super low and we can get a shorter mortgage term which means in the end we save money, paper work completed today. Just a few pieces of paper to sign and then fax over.

Accomplished quite a bit on this holiday.

Yet, I can't really feel too proud of myself. You know what happens when you sit back and think, I'm good -- something happens that proves you are far from good. Ahhh, humility.

We're told in I Peter 5:5 to clothe ourselves in humility because 'God opposes the proud and gives grace to the humble.' The references to pride and humility are prominently scattered throughout the Bible. Hmm, maybe God knew we would struggle with that? How do you feel good about accomplishments without being sinfully proud? Well, you probably don't write a blog post about all you've done in a day. Or maybe you just step back and remain not-self centered in accomplishments and recognize how the work got done.

I don't get much done on my 'own.' You see, I'm super dependent on others and quite resourceful. I rely on strength that comes from some place other than myself. I pray to God to help with my comings and goings and ask that He direct my path.

(Sing the Amy Grant song with me 'thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.' Really, I could sing the entire song, right now. Oh, and I did record the Remember the Music special on TBN about Amy Grant and she sang 'Thy Word.' Which, I belted out back in the day at Mac Park Lutheran on Sunday mornings in front of the entire church. Side note, when I tried to harmonize, the woman playing the piano would stop and say 'what is that' as if she heard some strange un-harmonic sound. I would look around as if she wasn't speaking to me.)

When you read I Peter 5:5 and you move on to the seventh verse of that chapter, the following verse presents. 'Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.'

Anxiety. Yes, Xanax helps, but really casting it on God is the ultimate solution. When you are planning your days, weeks, weekends, fall and vacation, there are times when anxiety seeps into your being and suddenly, it begins to take over.

Go back to verse six because that is how God provides for the anxious thoughts. 'Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.'

Nice. He helps just at the right time. Perfect timing. No need for anxiety. No need for over planning. No need for trying to be proud of myself.

If you know Amy's Thy Word, you also know she has a few words in the verses around 'nothing will I fear, as long as you are near' and 'Jesus by my guide and hold me to your side.' So, see. I can be super pleased with the progress I've made on my trip and fall plans.

(Did I just write 'trip and fall' . . .uh oh, humility lining right up.)

But, I need to give credit where credit is due. And, it isn't because I've done much more than a lot of internet research. It's because I've got this God on my side who knows the plans for me (which means making it to 50 and a trip to Paris, please, please, please) and keeps me humble through my need for Him when I'm making plans.

Now, if I can just remember when I'm getting my flu shot. Next week? Before we go to Waco? After I've figured out the right jacket to take on my trip?

Casting, casting, casting it.








No comments:

Post a Comment