Monday, January 2, 2017

LPL and Fans

Today is a federal holiday. No school for the girls, no work for me. And, yet, our house is humming with activity.

Today was going to be all fourth part. I was going to write. I was going to go through pictures. I was going to run a couple of errands all about me. I was going to watch something on either Netflix or Amazon Prime Video or just good ol' cable TV. Again, all about me. My fourth part.

Guess who the joke is on? That's right, moi. (We have a family resolution -- OK, the girls and I -- to learn French). Oui, moi. (Those don't rhyme even though they appear to. Since I have a real grasp on French -- because I am French -- I know those two don't rhyme. But, please don't ask me to translate these sentences. Don't know that much. Non, I don't! I've a long way to go.)

So far today, and it isn't even lunch, I've taken Caroline to pick up an American Girl car we bought off a Facebook trading site (she used her Christmas money) and I've helped load up the attic with Christmas. I've answered countless questions on this, that and the other to include 'where is the breaker box' -- which I think was hypothetical because, really?! -- and 'am I taking this ironing board to school' -- seriously? We don't need it.

(I realize all the sentences above are horribly structured and my English, Journalism and Editing professors would have a fit, but I think they accurately represent the state of my non-existent fourth part and my brain).

I also set up my son's electricity account for his apartment. It's LPL, Lubbock Power and Light. Boy, I need some power and light right now, but not for $135. Yeah, that's the connection fee. I think I read we can get it waived if we prove we've been clients at another power company and been in good standing. Does 20 years count? Oh, but detail, the new account is in his name. Maybe we can make this work.

I also am reviewing, writing and assigning the items needed for an apartment with Chris' roommate's mom. She's great. A list maker like me and on top of it.

I also am hunting for a mattress. Trying to find the best deal of a mattress that comes all boxed up and can be unfolded upon apartment arrival or one that can be delivered to the new apartment next week at move in.

I also am coordinating the family schedule for the next two days. With the girls out of school until Thursday, G having basketball and football practice and Chris working, it's interesting how we figure out who is on first -- more importantly, who is at the house to watch the girls and transport them to activities. An aside, I can lay this schedule out, talk about it, write it down in 14 different places and there will still be questions. Power and light, please. Power and light.

Maybe that LPL should read Lots of Patience, Lady. Or Lots of Peace, Lady. Or Lots of Prayer, Lady. Or Let's Pretend Like (fill in the blank).

All that and hold on, wait. The guy is here installing fans outside. It's January, but this is a task that must be done now. I mean fans? Now? Winter?

Yeah, it's about 80 degrees here so I guess we need fans for when we sit outside enjoying cocktails and a fourth part. When? Let's Pretend Like (it's happening now).

These fans are an example of things I wish I could control but really can't. I have no answers to the questions -- breaker box or how low they should hang -- but I get asked. I know it is out of courtesy and kindness from my husband, but really, I don't know and I don't care. OK, I guess I do because Let's Pretend Like (I'm not a control freak).

I guess on day number two of this 2017, I'm plain out of room for questions because I really don't have the answers. I can make things up, but with the form filling out for so many things for Chris and the lists that require searching and hunting, I just can't answer questions about breaker boxes. Let's Pretend Like (I'm needing a fourth part day).

Remember I was going to be fixing this year. First, fixing my eyes on that which is greater than I. Second, fixing tangible items. Third, fixing stuff that can't be seen.

And, so far, I've added to the list, not subtracted. I had no idea we had so much to fix. The fans? The forms? The lists?

Let's Pretend Like (fixing is a one-time thing).

Let's Pretend Like (I know it all).

Let's Pretend Like (a federal holiday is a holiday).

Lots of Patience, Lady. Lots of Peace, Lady. Lots of Prayer, Lady.

And, a couple of new fans that I can control with a wireless remote that give us Power and Light.


No comments:

Post a Comment