Sunday, July 24, 2016

Noonday and Nails

Well, I peeled off my Shellac polish. Satisfying, absolutely. Troubling, possibly.

See, I really had at least another week in them, but I was over this opaque light gray color and I didn't want to be messing with my nails on our upcoming vacation. (Can I get a what, what that we are almost headed off to a place where the high is around 77 degrees? I think today's high in SA was roughly 120 degrees.)

Now, guess what? Along with finding a rash guard (anyone have one I can borrow ... short sleeve or long sleeve, medium or large) and buying water shoes and packing and buying the groupon deal for the kayak tour (and maybe a spear fishing trip for G and Chris) .... I have to make a nail appointment and then go to get them re-Shellac'ed. Ugh.

It's also the week Camille has tumbling camp and I have to be out the door with her by 7:45 a.m. (ish). Let's be honest, the camp is around the corner from our house and check in is from 8 to 8:30 a.m, so we really don't have to be there by 8 a.m., right?

All that to say, I should have avoided the peeling process. You see, I'm a picker. When I'm anxious, I pick. When I'm tired, I pick. When I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed, yeah, I pick. So, my naked nails are now in a very fragile state because they are long enough to be admired, but so up for a bitin' and a pickin' -- country song possibility?

Yet, every single devotion these last few weeks has been about accepting God's sufficient grace, love and mercy. Everyday, He provides me with what I need. So, why the anxiousness and worrying? Oh to really give it to Him and just admire those gray nails (still not too fond of the color). Again, I've got a vacation to prepare for and get taken care of and a son to get registered for the fall semester and 15 pounds to lose so I need to squeeze in a workout but I have to plan back to school shopping. Get it? Yikes. Take a deep breath with me.

According to my Jesus Calling, He wants me to rest in His presence. Proverbs 3:5 reminds me to trust in him and not rely on my understanding -- which let's be clear, is not to clear and up to par some days. OK, a lot of days. He 'delights in my trusting confidence' when I rest in Him. Boy, this Jesus Calling book nails it, right?

What do you do when you have a vacation to plan and all the other list that never seems to end? You host a Noonday Collection party. Let me assure you, the Trader Joe's snacks made the prep super simple. And, G vacuuming and Chris cleaning the bathroom really helped. And, when you have a sweet host who truly believes in the mission and ministry of Noonday, that helps, too.

I had her for about an hour to myself as she set up and just her calming presence calmed me. Then, hearing the story of the company and hearing her story of Bible journaling, it calmed me. I started to rest in His presence.

The party was great. People bought jewelry and tote bags. My girls made new friends (my host has two girls) and learned that it is OK to color in your Bible. Everyone liked the snacks -- stuffed mushrooms, Greek pizza, flatbread pizza, key lime cookies, lemon ginger cake and pastry puffs were hits.

And, I rested in His presence. Which made clean up a little easier and made me not gnaw on my nails for a while.

Yes, I'll make a nail appointment tomorrow and I'll get other things on the to-do list taken care of and I'll reflect on the verse that grounds Noonday.

Isaiah 58:10 -- And if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday.

Which, is followed by verse 11 (again, with He will take care of me needs) which reads The Lord will guide you always, He will satisfy your needs.

No need to pick. Just rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment